Important Technology Terms to Know
If you’re considering having a website created for your business and you want to work with a professional web development company, you should know that the world of web development is a complicated one that has its own jargon and terms that most laymen don’t understand. Before you start working with a team that handles web development, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with some of the words and phrases you’ll hear so that you can work more effectively with them to get the website you want for your business.
▪ Web Development is the coding or programming that goes into the creation of a website. Its focus is on how the site works and on how the user gets things done on the site.
▪ Web Design is the process of conceptualizing a website and choosing variables that determine how it will look, like layout, colors, fonts, text size, structure, graphics, images and the use of interactive features.
▪ SEO or search engine optimization is a set of tools and techniques used to affect the visibility of a website in the results pages of search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo, that have specific criteria they use to rank websites for every user search. Good SEO ensures that your website’s SEO rank gets it as close to the first page of results as possible.
▪ CMS or content management system is a program that allows a website’s owner to publish, edit or modify content themselves. It’s useful for websites that carry frequently-updatable content like news, blogs and shopping information.
▪ RWD or responsive web design is a way to design and program a website to show different content layouts for different-sized devices like laptops, tablets and smartphones.
▪ Domain Name is the name of your website as it appears in the search bar of an internet browser. It’s how all websites are identified and can contain any combination of letters, numbers and hyphens with different extensions like .com, .net, .org, etc.
▪ Backlink is a link from another website to yours. A lot of backlinks from highly-ranked websites can have an impact on your own site’s rankings.
▪ Hyperlink is a link from one web page to another, either on the same website or from one site to another. Generally, hyperlinks are text or images and are highlighted in some way through color or font variation.
▪ UX refers to the user experience on a website. A good user experience is one in which the user can easily navigate the site, which results in a positive experience.
▪ UI or user interface is the content, organization and design of a website with which the user interacts.
▪ HTML or hypertext markup language is the code that tells a browser how to display text and images on a website. It is primarily intended as a way to provide content on websites with CSS or cascading style sheets handling the layout and style options.
When you want a website for your business, you need to work with a professional company that handles web development. Though a professional web development company will ensure that you know everything you need to know without overloading you with information, it’s never a bad idea to know some of the technical terms and phrases used in web development. For the best website for your business, call us at Axis Software Dynamics at (469) 535-7500 or visit us online at axissoftwaredynamics.com to find out how we can help you.